zaterdag 5 april 2008

Pain Provençale - Bloch


Bloch closed down. A sad day for the city of Ghent. This bakery has been there since April 30,1899 and has closed down for good on March 28, 2008.

When I was a child, I got to know this bakery trough an aunt of mine who used to bring delicious bread with her every time she visited. When I grew up I became a costumer there and every time my wife and I were in the city we would have a tea or coffee there and enjoy some good pastry. It is sad to know that we won't be able to do this any more. Make sure you check the pics. Sorry for the English readers of this blog, but the site is in my native language Dutch.

To ease the pain a bit I find comfort in the fact that all recipes should be on line shortly and available for every one. I made the Pain Provençale which I found in the local news paper.

Here's the recipe :

370 grams water
660 grams bread flour
15 grams fresh yeast
10 grams salt

Mix the cold water and yeast. Add the flour and mix, add the salt.
The dough should be still sticky, not too dry. Knead for about 15 minutes by hand.
Bulk ferment for an hour.
Fold and make a boule. Proof for 2 hours.
Shape the loaf without degassing too much and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Bake : 220°C - 45 minutes

3 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

If they manage to get all the recipes on their website, they will be my baking heroes of the century. The pictures are just amazing. A bakery of dreams.

The bread you've baked looks excellent.

Tot ziens

ladiesfromneptune zei

Yeah, that would be cool. Let's hope they will be all on line one day. Thanks for the feedback and tot ziens! :-)

Schnuppschnuess zei

Isn't it a pity!!??!! How sad, to see the fotos and imagine, that all the people we can see there, their knowledge, their enthusiasm and their skills are no longer needed. Thank you for telling us. I never heard of this bakery before and read about it on "Ye olde bread blogge". I'm looking forward to the recipes, too.