donderdag 17 juli 2008

Pane Siciliano - Peter Reinhart


Mmmmm, Pane Siciliano made with a pre ferment and semolina flour. This is a golden, sweet, very tasty loaf!!! It took 3 days to finish but the result was awesome. You will like this, that is a promise.

Was there anything I did not like about this loaf? Well, staying overnight in the fridge benefits the taste, but I have to be very careful : the plastic that I use to wrap the dough in always sticks to the top of the loaves. That is why you will see flour on top of the Pane Siciliano, it has sesame seeds also (which are awesome on top of this loaf.) But like I mentioned, I need to use flour to avoid the plastic sticking too much to possibly deflate the loaves when I remove it.

I did enjoy making these, I guess I haven't made that many loaves that take 3 days from start to finish before, but it was worth it.

4 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Love this Reinhart recipe, too. Been out of semolina so it's about time to restock the shelves :)

ladiesfromneptune zei

Well, your comment reminds me that after making these loaves I need to restock too :-)

Anoniem zei

This is the recipe that taught me about the importance of pre-ferments in terms of flavor development. I made it as a straight dough: it was fine, but nothing spectacular. Made according to the book though, it was another bread entirely--yum!

ladiesfromneptune zei

Good point. I have been thinking to test how flavor is different when making a straight dough and use a pre-ferment.
I plan to do it someday.