zondag 11 oktober 2009

Baked last night...

I know it has been ages if not centuries since I have been updating my blog. Thanks Hans Joakim for reminding me.
Did I stop baking? Not at all, but there is going a ton of things on in my life and I just cannot seem to make myself update this blog. I should. So I apologize to you all.
I will try to revive this blog again and posting pics via my mobile phone should make this easy!

This is one of the loaves I baked last night, just a variation on the Special West-Flanders brown bread. I used no broken wheat because I did ran out of it and I seem to not be able to make it to the store to get some.
I did use a mixed flour with grains inside, but only like 10 percent, so it is not like too dark.
Once again a straight dough, no sourdough, my starter is staying in the fridge. Actually after this posting I should make some dough again, otherwise I would ran out of bread by the end of the week. I bake like 4 loaves or so during the weekend and store them in the freezer. I have to admit that years ago the thought of frozen bread was something I could not imagine at all. I thought it was like sacrilege. :-)
Nowadays after being surprised how little the bread is different after being frozen or not, I do this all the time, it became my work flow. Okay, it is not a 100% like fresh bread, but it is either baking during the weekend and freeze them or go to the baker...
And since I love baking I choose to freeze them.
The picture is not perfect, but it will do for now. Talk to you guys later!

Sent via BlackBerry offered by Proximus

2 opmerkingen:

Hans Joakim zei

great to have you back in business, bart :)

i'm curious about the west flanders brown bread you've shown. it looks terrific! can you give me a rundown of the main ingredients? some cracked wheat, 10-15% whole-wheat flour, does that sound about right? but what about the "brown" in west flanders brown bread? any malt extract, honey or sweet stuff in there?

cheers, bart!

ladiesfromneptune zei

Thanks! Will try my best, no baking this weekend though.
Main ingredients are :

700 grams flour
290 grams cracked wheat
10 grams bran
610 grams water
20 grams yeast
17 grams salt
20 grams butter

That's it.
Desired dough temperature 26° Celcius
35' bulk rise
fold
divide
15' rise boule shape
redo boule shape
put in baskets
punch down after 20' plus
remove from basket
50' rise
bake 240°C about 45'

Good luck!

Brown bread over there means that there is cracked wheat and/or bran in it.
It sometimes does contain malt, or honey. But not in this recipe.
This kind of bread just contains fat.